The town of Carlyle was founded in 1858. Initially 320 acres were selected for the building of a town site. It was proposed a church, schoolhouse, and other buildings would be built to insure speedy growth to the town. There were many difficulties, and eventually the idea of a prosperous town was abandoned. The area was divided up into farmland. The colony prospered and a post office, church, and schoolhouse were built. In 1870, the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Galveston railroad laid tracks through the Carlyle area, and Carlyle built a station. Between 1909 and 1913 Carlyle had grocery stores, a drug store, a pool hall, a hotel, and several homes. The Lumberman’s Portland Cement Company was built northeast of Carlyle, which resulted in a population boom. By the time the plant was ready for service, the market for building materials had skyrocketed, which resulted in the closure of the plant. Carlyle’s population dwindled from 600 to approximately 75 residents. By 1967 the grade school was closed, and students transferred to Iola. The post office remained open until 1988. The railroad tracks were removed and is now a trail maintained by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism.