Will the Sheriff’s Office resolve Civil Disputes?
No.  Civil disputes must be addressed in court if the parties can not come to an agreement.

Will the Sheriff’s Office participate in a Civil Standby while I remove personal property?
No.  The Sheriff’s Office will not participate in a Civil Standby unless there is a court order in place mandating a Civil Standby by the Sheriff’s Office.

My former significant other will not follow our parenting agreement, what can I do?
Contact your attorney.  Your attorney can have the situation heard in court and proceed with a contempt request if the agreement is not being followed as ordered by the court.

Do you have a quota?  What happens to the money when citations are paid?
No, we do not have a quota.  Deputies participate in traffic enforcement to reduce the chances of serious injury and/or death due to motor vehicle accidents.  Money collected from fines are submitted to the State of Kansas.  Fine monies do not directly benefit the Allen County Sheriff’s Office in any way.

Why did the Deputy arrest my significant other for domestic violence if I did not want to pursue charges?
In the State of Kansas law enforcement officers are required to make an arrest if evidence of a Domestic Violence crime exists.

I received a citation for No Proof of Insurance, but I’m insured.  Why?
Oftentimes people forget to put their new insurance cards in their vehicle upon expiration of their old cards.  In the State of Kansas you are required to provide valid proof of insurance upon request by a law enforcement officer.  If proof can not be shown the law enforcement officer is required to issue a citation.  This requirement is set by the State of Kansas.

I was dissatisfied with how a Deputy handled a situation.  What can I do?
If you have a complaint about the conduct of a Deputy, please contact Undersheriff Roy Smith at 620-365-1400.

How do I obtain a Concealed Carry Handgun (CCH) License?
You will need to attend a state approved CCH course.  For more information, please contact Deputy Travis Buck

How do I check the status of my case?
Contact the Deputy that took your report by calling 620-365-1400.  If the Deputy is not available, the administrative staff will leave a message for the Deputy to return your call.  If your case has already been submitted to the Allen County Attorney’s Office, you may call 620-365-1420 to learn about case updates.

What does the new Concealed Carry Handgun (CCH) law in Kansas mean?
On July 1, 2015 the new Concealed Carry Handgun law went into effect in Kansas.  Citizens are now allowed to carry firearms concealed within their vehicles or on their person without a permit.

1. Must be 21 years of age
2. Must not be prohibited from carrying a firearm by State or Federal Law (convicted felon, register offender, mental illness, etc.)
3. Can not travel outside the State of Kansas with a concealed weapon unless you have a CCH license.
4. You must abide by signage posted where firearms are prohibited (federal buildings, private businesses, etc.)

For more information, please visit the Kansas Attorney General’s Website

Are there other questions you have?  If so, please send your question(s) to Undersheriff Roy Smith