VIN Inspection

A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection is required if you purchase a vehicle with an out-of-state title, or if you move to Kansas with an out-of-state vehicle. A VIN Inspection is required to obtain Kansas registration. VIN Inspections can be done at the Allen County Sheriff’s Office between 9:00AM and 3:00PM Monday-Friday.

For after hours VIN Inspections, you can request a Deputy to do so by calling the Allen County 911 Communications Center at

To complete a VIN Inspection, you will need a valid driver’s license, original title, the vehicle, and $20.00 (cash or check made payable to the Allen County Sheriff’s Office).  Vehicles with a Certificates of Origin State of Kansas Title do not require a VIN Inspection.

Please note if your VIN plate is damaged, altered, not readable, or you need a replacement VIN you will need to contact the Kansas Highway Patrol.