The City of Mildred began in 1907 when a cement plant was established there. Coal Creek was dammed to provide a water source, and by the end of its first year as a City, the first school was being built. The town boomed, and at its peaked had approximately 2,000 residents. Mildred boasted two hotels, an elementary school, high school, two barbershops, and motion picture theater.
When the gas boom ended and the demand for cement dwindled, Mildred did as well. The city population now stands between 20-30 residents. Mildred is still home to the Mildred Store (formerly Charlie Brown’s) where residents of Mildred and the surrounding area can do a little grocery shopping, and enjoy a fresh deli sandwich.