The City of Gas began in 1898 after gas was discovered in Elm Township. By 1910 the population in Gas City had boomed to 1,281. Gas had a bank, daily and weekly newspaper, opera house, and a post office. Gas has remained a bedroom community to Iola. Gas still has a bank, post office, convenience store, and other small businesses. Gas has a large park and is home to the Country Club.